Friday, August 22, 2008

TC Thumbhole Omega .50 cal ML





ABOVE PHOTOS ARE 150 YARD GROUPS

TC Thumbhole Laminated Stainless Omega .50 cal

As mentioned in the Encore article, I am now down to only two muzzleloaders. Both are Thompson Center’s and both are .50 cal. I love both of these guns, however I think the Omega is a little easier to clean and maintain. It of course is not a break open action like the Encore and thus none of the concerns over “Hinge Pin” tightness, free floating the forearm wings etc. The Omega trigger is decent out of the box at between 3 and 4 pounds, and comes with excellent adjustable sights for those areas that still do not allow a scope for ML seasons. I read complaints about the slippery trigger face, noisy cocking etc., however those points do not bother me much. The Encore of course is more versatile in that you have a choice of purchasing additional barrels in a wide variety of centerfire, & rimfire calibers and even shotgun slug barrels. I already own several rimfires, centerfires and a dedicated rifled slug shooting Ithaca Deerslayer Storm 12 ga. For that reason, my Encore is also a dedicated .50 cal ML.

The original Omega was brought out by TC Arms in 2002, and it has been one of their biggest success stories. Mine wears a laminated one piece thumbhole stock and I consider it an excellent gun for a tree stand or for someone who sits on stand most of the day. It sits very stable in the hands even in the offhand shooting position.

The gun uses a drop action system activated by pushing forward on the extended trigger guard. This exposes the breech plug and makes it easy to cap and deprime the gun using either a 209 capper or even your fingers. One minor annoyance is that occasionally one of the spent 209 primers, falls down into the action and you have to turn the gun a little and gently shake it to make sure the spent primer comes out. It doesn’t happen often and when it does, it is easy to fix. There is no blowback of residue to the trigger assembly and other than pulling the breech plug, cleaning the bbl and wiping down what is visible from the rear with the action open, no further assembly is required. I DO remove the stock and wipe down the breech area and everywhere I can reach on the drop down trigger assembly before putting away for an extended period. This is in contrast to my Encore which I normally have to drive out the hinge pin, occasionally pull the swivel extractor and wipe down the inside of the exposed frame before reassembly. I honestly do not consider either gun a hassle to clean properly, however the Omega wins the easier cleaning award. I remind myself, that in my opinion, the Encore is handier to carry while still hunting, and the trigger on mine is at 2 ½ pounds and very crisp with no over travel. Both of these guns have now been updated with the Omega being replaced by the Triumph and the Encore by the Encore Pro. Progress never stops and I guess that is why they call it progress. You can still find a lot of NEW Omegas and the original version of the Encore 209/50 rifles out there at great prices.

The gun is capable of producing groups on the order of 1.5 to 2 inches with a variety of loads. The breech plugs are interchangeable with the Encore 209/50. They are reasonably priced from a number of outlets and I own several as during extended range sessions, I will normally pull the breech plug, clean the barrel and threads and install a clean breech plug while allowing the bbl to cool down. I always carry an extra one in my possibles bag in the event I need to pull the plug in the field and accidentally drop it and can’t find it in the leaves, or grass etc. The sights and bases and rings are also interchangeable with the Encore.

I have used mostly Pyrodex 50 grain pellets and Pyrodex RS loose powder in this gun along with Winchester 209 primers. I plan on putting in a couple of range sessions with this gun and running a variety of saboted bullets and powders through it along with experimenting with the Win 777 primers (vs.) the Remington Kleen Bore primers. I should mention that even though the Omega is advertised with a 28” bbl as opposed to the Encore’s 26” bbl, they are both essentially 26”.

RESULTS:

I forgot to mention that my Omega is topped off with a Bushnell Legend 2X7X32 scope. I consider this scope a good buy for the money. The adjustments are precise, and the scope has held up through over 300 rounds sent down range through the Omega. This scope is the Best of the Bushnell low end scopes (including the Banner series, and the Trophy line). It retails for right around $149.95.

I obtained (two) ½ inch center to center groups at 100 yards with the 240 Grain XTP, using two 50 grain pyrodex pellets and the new Win 777 primers.

I obtained a ½ inch center to center group with two pyrodex pellets and the Barnes 245 Grain spitzer using Win 777 primers.

I then switched to Triple 777/fffg powder and dropped my load down to 90 grains as I had been having no luck at all in either the Omega or the Encore 209/50 with loads of triple 777 from 100 to 120 grains. I shot a 2 1/2 inch center to center group with the same Barnes 245 Grn Spitzer and a 2 ¾ inch groups with 90 grains 777/fffg and the 300 grain XTP. I am coming to the conclusion that for some yet unattainable reason, neither my Omega or the Encore like triple 777 powder. NOT to worry, as they both seem to like Pyrodex pellets and Pyrodex RS loose powder.

I have had several groups with 100 to 110 grains of loose Pyrodex RS powder behind the 240 and 300 grain XTP, 295 grain powder Belts, 245 Grain Barnes Spitzer, 300 Grain Precision QT and 260 grain Precision dead centers that were all under 2 inches at 100 yards.

Your Omega might absolutely love triple 777 powder including pushing the envelope to 120 or 130 grains of either ffg or fffg. Mine for reasons unknown to me at this time, simply does not shoot well with 777 powder in any load from 90-120 grains of fffg. I have tried a dozen or more bullets through it and the groups while acceptable for deer hunting out to 120 yards or so, have not impressed me.

I have also tried American Pioneer powder and have been totally unimpressed with the results from that powder trying several different combinations of bullets.

For that reason, I will probably stick with Pyrodex RS or the pellets. Right now for this fall, I will settle on the 2/50 grain pellets and the Barnes 245 Grain Spitzer (target shown here) and consider myself fortunate. I am about 1.5 inches high at 100 yards and dead center and that will give me an effective load out to 150 yards and perhaps a bit further. I don’t lose sleep on the “bit further” as most deer are taken on the near side of 100 yards, especially where I hunt. I would not hesitate to use the 240 or 300 grain XTP either and both are very consistent. Point of impact of course varies and on my gun if I move my scope adjustment UP(4) ¼ min clicks and left (7) ¼ min clicks, I can switch point of impact from the Barnes load back to the 240 grn XTP.

I try to keep an record of this if I find TWO or more loads that shoot really well. The 240 grain XTP and the 245 grain Barnes spitzer both shoot well under an inch and by a simple scope adjustment, I can be sighted in for one or the other in seconds.

Little things:

When I remove the stock from the gun to do a more thorough cleaning job, I want to make sure I replace it exactly the way it was. Muzzle loading of course is a game of consistency. You must be consistent in your measuring of powder charges, using the same primer, the same bullet, applying the same pressure to your ramrod, making sure your scope is aligned property and you are not canting the gun when shooting, etc. etc. Once I find a load or two the gun really likes to eat, I want to replace that stock and screws with exactly the same pressure as it was when I shot those great groups. On the Omega, I made a small mark on the laminated stock with a black marker pen to identify the position of the two screws for tightness. I then put a small dab of white out on one edge of the screw slot matching up with the mark on the stock. Now, I can remove the stock, clean the gun and know that I am putting it back together, just like it came apart.

If you are contemplating buying an Omega, I think you will be pleased with your purchase. Dan 8/2/07
www.deer-hunting-information.com

Proverbs 28:6 KJV "Better is the poor that walketh in his uprightness, than he that is perverse in his ways, though he be rich"

No comments: