Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hunting Season 2008

My last post was at the beginning of bow season and here we are at the end of gun season and into muzzleloader season now in NYS. This year was a complete bust for me with very few deer sightings and zero shots. The weather was not the best with torrential rains on Saturday's opening day followed by 35-40 MPH winds on Sunday.

Busy business schedule also dictated hunting when I could get away as opposed to the best days to hunt. I tried rattling, estrous doe bleat calls (mouth and "the can"), along with grunt calls, scents etc. all to no avail.

I noticed a big decrease in hunters in the field at least in the area where I traditionally hunt. The only thing I can say for sure, "A bad day hunting still beats a good day at work". I did purchase a ladder stand this year and actually found the courage to climb up in the darn thing a couple of times. I also purchased one of the "Hunter Safety System" vests which I think is probably the best treestand harness on the market.

All that being said, no venison in the freezer or antlers on the wall thus far. I hope to rectify that by going down to Steuben county on a muzzleloader hunt this Friday. It is a three day hunt in one of the top counties of NYS for both total deer density, and specifically buck density per sqare mile. In addition the record books have had a lot of entries since 1941 out of Steuben.

My son-in-law Jared will be joining me and he will be using the TC thumbhole Omega (see Blog post) and will be shooting 110 grains of Pyrodex RS loose powder behind a Hornady 250 grain SST sabot and igniting that charge with Reminton KleenBore 209 primers. It is a combination that works well out past 150 yards. The Omega wears a Bushnell Ledgend scope that hs suprisingly clear optics for the money.

I will be carrying the TC Encore 209/50 with two 50 grain pyrodex pellets, behind a 250 Grain TC shockwave sabot (also made by Hornady) and using Winchester 209 primers. On a good day, this will put 3 shots into 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards and if set 1.5 inches high, is right on the money at 150 yards. The Encore wears a Mueller 2X7X32 red dot scope and that will come in handy both early and late and against a snowy background.

I am hoping my luck will change by trying a new area and God willing, the weather should be a little better in the southern tier. In 1st Chronicles chapter 4:9-10 you will find Jabez prayer concerning "expanding his borders". Hunting in Steuben county will be expanding my borders.

I will be adding a post next week concerning our 3 day hunt in NYS's southern tier and hopefully have some photos to go with it.

God Bless

Dan

No comments: