Thursday, January 8, 2009

NEW muzzleloader propellant/ IMR WHITE HOTS

Latest addition to the black powder substitutes comes to us from IMR. IMR now has their name on a new pelletized powder named IMR WHITE HOTS. IT WILL BE SOLD IN THE FORM OF 50 GRAIN /50 CALIBER PELLETS and will be similar to Triple 777 in performance and clean up. The white hots are.......well they are WHITE. The first range test I have seen indicated two pellets behind 250 grain Hornady SST/ML sabots as 1739 fps. This is slightly faster than advertised for Triple 777, however the test was done at 8500 feet above sea level and in a 27 inch bbl. Accuracy is very similar to results obtained with Triple 777 powder, and clean up is just as easy.

The White Hots are designed to work with any 209 primer ignition, however they are NOT recommended for percusion cap ignition. I am not sure about availability at the time of this post, however I am prety sure the 2009 fall catalogs will be carrying the new White Hots, and they give smokepole users another option to black powder.

For now I will stick with Pyrodex pellets and Pyrodex RS loose powder. I have several cans of the RS and 4 or 5 boxes of the pellets. They do the job for me and they are accurate. If it ain't broke, then I tend not to fix it.

Dan

Proverbs 24:10 KJV "If thou shalt faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small"

No comments: