Wednesday, June 22, 2011

200 Yard Test Of Ruger .350 Rem mag With Burris 3X9X40 Ballistic Plex

I made it back to the range today for a final test on the Ruger Model 77 .350 Remington mag and Burris Fullfield II 3X9X40 Ballistic Plex scope with LRS (Lighted Reticle). I was very pleased with the final results.

You can see the target below. As indicated in my last post, I thoroughly cleaned the rifle, and then backed off both of the stock screws just forward of the trigger guard about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. I had over tightened them when I found the Ruger Ring screws were loose. There was NO need to really tighten the stock screws anyway and it ended up opening up my 100 yard groups in the last test. I knew the gun was capable of very good accuracy at 100 yards, and I had never tested it at 200 yards prior to today. I am very pleased with both the rifle and the scope set up and think this is an IDEAL rifle set up for spot and stalk, or black bear hunting over bait. The scope has very good clear optics and the tracking and adjustments of the 1/4 min clicks are very precise and the scope holds its zero despite the punishing recoil of the .350 mag.

My first two shots were at exactly 100 yards, after backing off the stock screws slightly. That two shot group measured 7/8 of an inch center to center. Without any adjustment, I then placed the target at exactly 200 yards and held on the 200 yard target with the Ballistic Plex bar for 200 yards dead center.That two shot group is exactly one inch center to center and was 1/2 inch off center to the LEFT of my point of aim. I moved the windage adjustment knob 2 clicks to the right.

I then came back to 75 yards (with 75 yards or LESS covering the distance at which 95% of baited bear shots take place). I fired my final 2 shot group which was dead on (left to right) and both shots went into 1/4 inch center to center (OR subtracting the bullet hole). Outside spread final 2 shot group was 9/16 outside spread.

This rifle and scope set up is a KEEPER, and God willing and the creek don't rise, will be accompanying me on my next baited bear hunt. I have total confidence in placing the shot within 1.5 inches of point of aim out to 200 yards with this rifle.

Ammunition used was Remington's 200 grain CoreLokt factory load.

This rifle in previous sessions with a different scope on board, put 3 shots of Nosler 225 grain Partition ammo into just under 1 inch.  That would probably be my chosen load for a bear hunt, if I get the opportunity to go again.



Dan

Human government is more or less perfect as it approaches nearer or diverges farther from the imitation of this perfect plan of divine and moral government.
-= draft of a Newspaper Communication, Circa August 1770 = (John Adams)

Human government is more or less perfect as it approaches nearer or diverges farther from the imitation of this perfect plan of divine and moral government.
-= draft of a Newspaper Communication, Circa August 1770 = (George Washington)

Proverbs 1:5,6 & 7

1:5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
1:6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.
1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

No comments: