Monday, February 4, 2013

.338 Federal (vs.) .338 Marlin Express

I thought about buying a .338 Marlin Express rifle at the time I purchased my Ruger Hawkeye .338 Federal rifle. Why didn't I?

Most rifle purchases are personal and often times have nothing to do with logic per se as much as emotion, looks and the old adage, "I just wanted one".

Here is a little of the logical side of the argument and process I went through in my mind at the time.

 Ballistic comparisons on both cartridges:

.338 Marlin Express 200 grain LeverEvolution ammo:

                                    Muzzle     100 yards    200 yards   300 yards   400 yards

Velocity fps                 2565         2365           2173          1991           1819
Energy Ft.-lbs              2921         2483           2097          1760           1469
Wind drift 10MPH       0                0.9              3.6             8.4             15.4
Trajectory inches        -1.5            3                 1.3             -7.8             -25.5





.338 Federal with 210 grain Nosler Partition factory load

Velocity fps               2630          2412           2204            2007           1821
Energy Ft-lbs             3225          2712           2265            1878           1546
Wind Drift 10MPH     0                0.9               3.7             -8.7           16.3
Trajectory inches      -1.5              3                  1.6             -7.1          -24.4  

There is a slight advantage in velocity, energy in foot pounds out to 400 yards for the ,338 Federal. Do I personally consider that a big deal? Not really. Most animals are not impressed with ft-lbs of energy anyway, especially big bears. There is also the matter of the Marlin sporting a 24 inch barrel (vs.) the Ruger Hawkeye's handier 22 inch barrel. I also feel the Nosler 210 grain partition is perhaps better suited to the big bears if one had the opportunity to hunt them. Either caliber is capable of taking whitetails, black bear, moose, wild boar, elk, and similar game out to 300 yards and maybe 400 if you practice enough to become proficient with your rifle.






Based on the M77 Hawkeye Standard model, this rifle features a weather-resistant stainless steel barrel and receiver in Hawkeye Matte Stainless finish, and a rugged black synthetic stock.


My feeling at the time were that I already owned two Marlin  rifles in 45-70 and .35 Rem which were both MOA rifles with the LeverEvolution ammo from Hornady.

I just liked the look and the feel of the Ruger Hawkeye and felt the .338 Federal with a wider choice of ammunition was the better deal for me. The .338 Federal has factory loads available from 180 grains to the 210 grain Nosler Partition. My particular rifle shoots the 200 grain Federal Fusion load the best and it is capable of doing about anything one would want to do with the .338 Federal cartridge. I also was influenced by the possible longevity of the .338 Federal cartridge (vs) the longevity of the .338 Marlin Express. I dearly love my .350 Rem Mag as an example, however it isn't easy finding factory ammo for it anymore. I think however I have found someone locally that I can rust to hand load round for that rifle.

I support all of those who purchased either one. That is part of what made America great....Freedom of choice. I pray every day our current crop of politicians in Washington are not allowed to take that away from us.
           
Dan

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) 2 Chronicles 7:14
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.


The 2nd Amendment was ratified on December 17, 1791 along with the other nine amendments that make up the Bill of Rights. While it is a very short amendment, its exact meaning in terms of what types of weapons are protected is still in contention today.

Text of the 2nd Amendment

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

No comments: