Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Manitoba Canada Black Bear

I have been doing research on Manitoba black bear hunting outfitters and have decided to post a few chosen ones on the blog. Today's choice is "Big Woods Wilderness Outfitters" located in and around Nopiming Provincial Park in Manitoba which borders on Ontario. They have been in this area since 1966. I graduated from high school in 1965, so trust me when I say ......it has been a while.

They have several videos of nice bears taken on their web site which I will post here. My fascination currently with Manitoba is not to say there are not a LOT of other places in the world to hunt and an equal number of great outfitters. Manitoba is also not cheap, however I am old enough to realize you normally get what you pay for. I have been to Maine several times without a bear and again, don't get me wrong. I LOVE the state of Maine and I normally get there every summer for a week or so on vacation and have been probably 5 or 6 times both deer hunting and black bear hunting. I always say the scenery alone is worth the trip.

What I am seeing in my research in Manitoba is that the bears on average run bigger than in Maine. You will see several bears in the attached videos that run 300 lbs plus. Metal ladder stands are normally placed very close to the bait, and are 10 yards in several cases. You also have the opportunity for color phase bears.

$3200 per person for a 5 day hunt. Site shows $3000 group rate. As I mentioned this is not cheap as you can go to several spots in Maine for less than half of that figure. The next time I do a bear hunt, I will save my pennies and pick a reputable outfitter where the odds of getting a shot at a trophy bear are higher. As with any outfitter anywhere, the weather and other factors could make or break a hunt. There are no guarantees which is why they call it hunting and not shooting.

CONTACT US

Please contact us if you have any questions or to book your Big Woods Wilderness black bear or whitetail deer hunt. Our tags are limited, so book early to avoid disappointment. We look forward to being your hunting guides and sharing our experiences with you, as well as our piece of the Big Woods in Manitoba, Canada.
Mailing address:
Big Woods Wilderness Outfitters
400 Yale Avenue West
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2C 1V3
CANADA
telephone:toll free 1.866.444.0401
1.204.224.3935 (Winnipeg-direct)
1.204.884.2538 (camp)
email:
bigwoods@shaw.ca

Let us guide you through the "entrance to the wilderness!"

I encourage you to open the link below and look at some of the short videos of actual bear taken both with the bow and the rifle.


Dan

http://www.bigwoodshunting.com/blackbears.htm


No comments: