Saturday, December 6, 2014

Last Day Of Rifle Season Southern Tier NYS Tomorrow

Tomorrow is the last day of rifle season for the southern tier where I hunt. Not sure if I will be able to get out during the ML season or not. As I understand it the deer sightings and deer take for NYS as a whole is down from previous years. The chunk of woods and farmland where I normally hunt was changed this year due to logging operations going on during the spring and summer months. It has changed both the terrain and the normal pattern of the existing deer herd somewhat from previous years.

I did not get a doe tag this year and have not seen a buck of any description to be able to put a tag on one. Tomorrow I will be venturing forth for the last day. My brother and a friend will also be hunting the same chunk of real estate. Hopefully we will all tag out or at least see some activity.

Tomorrow I decided to take my Savage Weather Warrior .308 with Accu-Trigger and wearing a Bushnell Elite 3200 3X10X40 rifle scope with the rain guard feature. It is sighted in 1.75 inches high at 100 yards with Winchester 150 grain Power Points and trajectory is adequate for a dead on center chest hold out to 200 yards. It is safe to say that covers about 110% of any shot I am likely to have where is hunt.

I will also be taking my Howard-Leight shooting ear muffs with me to amplify sounds in the woods and at the same time depend on them to shut down the loud blast of a shot if I get an opportunity at a decent buck.

These muffs are COMFORTABLE to wear in the woods and give me an edge in the hearing capability arena and protection if and when a shot is taken. They are also easy to throw into a fanny pack, or backpack to take with you for a day of hunting. I recently had a hearing test after a bout of ringing and high frequency steady tones in my right ear. I can not afford to not protect my hearing from this point going forward, and the Howard-Leight-Inpact Sport Muffs are a good investment in that regard.

Here is a LINK to Cabelas which currently offer theses muffs for $59.99


http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howard-Leight-Impact-Sport-Earmuff/708113.uts?
productVariantId=1398781&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=39-9204979-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02415465&rid=20

My Savage Weather Warrior is one my my favorite rifles and one cannot complain about the overall grouping capability of this rifle.

If you have not already tagged out this season and are able to hunt tomorrow, I wish you success.

.308 Win with 150 grain BT at 2800 fps shows 2.7 inches high at 100 yards, 1.7 inches high at 200 and maximum point blank range of 275 yards.

As mentioned in print many times, where I personally hunt, I am more interested in "Threading the Needle" than I am seeing how far I can shoot. I may have a nice buck at 100 yards that  my only shot at the vitals is a 4 inch HOLE in the brush and am sure of my target and want to precisely place that 100 yard shot in the vitals.

God Bless,

Dan

Trajectory figures borrowed from Chuck Hawks ballistic tables:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm




No comments: