Saturday, July 18, 2015

Ruger 10/22 At The Range After Installing Ruger BX Drop In Trigger Assembly

For a long time now, I have wanted to improve the trigger on my Ruger 10/22. Up until fairly recently this meant either shipping it off for custom work or spending upwards of $200 or more for a Timney trigger assembly etc.

I decided to go with the Ruger BX drop in replacement trigger assembly after reading about it and watching the 5 minute video. One of my son's purchased mine from E. Arthur Brown Co. as a Father's Day present to me. I believe it topped out around $75 or $80 shipped to my door.

The trigger pull on the original Ruger 10/22 rifle bought many years ago was atrocious. I had trigger work in some fashion done on all my centerfire rifles including two lever action Marlin's. A gun smith solved that dilemma with installing Wild West Happy Triggers in the .35 Rem and the Mdl 1895 45-70. Again as memory serves, both guns were update for under $100 each approximately.

I also own a Savage Weather Warrior in .308 that came from the factory with the Accu-trigger and no need to do anything additional with that set up. I also have an older Ruger Mark II stainless in .270 Win that had trigger work done and has been a pleasure  to shoot since then. The .270 turned in a two shot 1/4" group center to center at 100 yards approximately 1.5 inches high with Federal 150 grain Power Shoks. I have it sighted in for woods and farm fields encountered where I hunt in NY where 200 yards shots are RARE.

Back to the 10/22, after watching the 5 minute video twice, I did the installation myself including cleaning parts of the Ruger that had not seen daylight in a while in under 15 minutes.

I am totally impressed and pleased with the BX assembly, the video and written instructions and the incredible difference between the original factory 10/22 trigger and the drop in BX assembly. With the original gun which has sent numerous rounds downrange over the years, I was always fighting the trigger and although I got decent groups, I knew it could do better. I do not own a trigger gauge, however the BX is reputed to be around 2.5 lbs which is a big improvement over the factory trigger.

Here are some photos: From Left to right, the first one is a 5 shot group at 50 yards, measuring 1 7/16" including one flyer. . Center of  group is 1.5" high.

2nd group center is a 10 shot group at 100 measured yards. Group is 3 and 5/16" center to center and is 3.5" low with a dead on hold.

 Last one is a 5 shot group at exactly 25 yards. Center to center is 5/8" and  1" high.
 Ammo used was Winchester 38 grain plated HP ammo.

The wind was moderate and mostly blowing left to right which probably accounts for some drifting at the 100 yard mark. I am sure if I spent more money on customizing, with a new crowned bull barrel, and other goodies, I could tighten these groups. Years ago I killed quite a few woodchucks out to 75 yards or so even with the old trigger. Out to 100 yards with the new BX trigger, I could make decent hits on anything I would want to shoot at with a .22 rimfire while holding dead on out to 75 and around 3 inches high at 100. I owned a Sako .222 back in 1968 after getting discharged from the U.S. Navy and that was predominantly my woodchuck gun for many years. I also took quite a few with the Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin bolt action .22 Mag.






Dan

No comments: