Tuesday, July 22, 2008

TC Omega Range Test For Dec ML Hunt


I took the TC Thumbhole laminated Omega to the range last evening to do some testing with three different saboted loads. I used 110 grains of Pyrodex RS loose powder and Triple 777 primers for the testing. I fired three shot groups at 75 and 150


SST 250 grain at 75 yards

yards with both the Hornady SST 250 grain sabot and the Hornady 300 grain XTP load. I also fired one two shot group with the Barnes 245 grain spitzer load at 150 yards, as I only had two of the Barnes bullets left in my range box. I was impressed with the performance of all three of these loads out to 150 yards, and could choose anyone of the three and hunt with confidence out to the 150 yard mark.






300 grain XTP at 150 yards



Barnes 245 grain spitzer at 150 yards (2 shots)



SST 250 grain at 75 yards



300 grain XTP (tightest group at 75 yards)




I could be sticking my neck out, however I think that most deer in the North/Eastern United States are probably taken at less than 100 yards. I honestly believe that over 95% of whitetails are probably taken at less than 150 yards. What is my point? My opinion is that there is too much hoopla about setting up your muzzleloader for taking 200 yard shots. It simply isn't necessary or practical for 90-95% of whitetail hunting.

In order to get your ML to perform well at 200 yards, you are going to have a midrange trajectory set too high for the majority of your shots. In some bullet drop range test reports I have read, in order to obtain a 200 yard zero, your bullet will be 5 inches or more above the point of aim at 100 yards and still be perhaps 3-5 inches high at 150. You will also need to use higher powder charges, resulting in more recoil, muzzle blast etc. which could cause some shooters to develop a flinch.

Since most deer are shot on the near side of 150 yards, why not set your gun up for holding dead on the money out to 150 yards, and then do the range work to see where your particular load is shooting at 200 and record that holdover, and tape it to your stock. In order to make 200 yards shots with your ML, you are going to NEED a range finder anyway and that gives you more time to set up for the shot. In my opinon you simply cannot guess the range at 200 and guess the holdover. I set my ML's up to take any shot given within 150 yards and then if everything is RIGHT and I have time to set up for a 200 yards shot, I can take it.

I full well realize that you can compromise and set your gun up to be perhaps 3 inches high at 100, and perhaps 3-7 inches low at 200 with the right bullet, however you are still going to NEED an accurate rangefinder to be taking those sort of shots. If you guess the shot is 200 and it turn out to be 230 yards you are in trouble. On the other hand if you more likely guess that 150 yards is really 200, you will be shooting over a lot of deer. I am more concerned about threading the needle at 75 yards and keeping my midrange trajectory closer to my point of aim, than setting up my gun and load on the rare 200 yard shot.

In any event, I am setting up the Omega for my son-in-law, Jared to use on a late season ML hunt in Steuben County this Dec. He has never taken a deer and I do not want him being saddled with the recoil of 150 grains of powder and midrange trajectory that could cause him to shoot over a nice buck at 75 or 125 yards.

I was pleasantly surprised by the results of all three bullets using the 100 grains of pyrodex RS loose powder. All three loads were tight and perhaps 1.5 inches high at most at 75 yards and right on the money at 150. All three bullets tested have been proven on whitetails and it is really a toss up which one to use. I was unable to test the Barnes 245 grain load at 75 yards, however it did well at the 150 mark. Since I am out of the Barnes sabots right now, I am going to let Jared use the 250 grain Hornady SST for the Dec hunt. The SST shoots a little tighter group at the 150 mark. I guess no deer will ever know the difference anyway.

Dan
www.deer-hunting-information.com

Jeremiah 33:27 KJV "Behold, I am the Lord of all flesh; is there anything too hard for me?"

No comments: