Friday, August 22, 2008

The Possibles Bag



What should one put into a possibles bag before heading for the woods? That is a good question. I am one of those who would rather take it and not need it, than need it, and not have it. Over the years, I have taken too much stuff into the woods with me, especially for a one day hunt close to home.

I now take:

7 speedloaders /Never needed more than two
12 /209 primers /(TC makes a neat little carrier for these)
1 flashlight
1 knife
1 compass
1 spare breech plug / haven’t needed this yet either
1 take down tool /(TC makes an all in one tool)
1 breech plug wrench
several wet cleaning patches / pre packaged
several dry cleaning patches
1 screw in t-handle for my ramrod/ (TC makes these)
1 extender swivel jag
1 roll of black plastic electrician’s tape /(for muzzle if it is raining or even just to keep dirt and debris out of the muzzle if you slip and fall)
1 small pair of needle nose pliers / for stubborn 209 removal
1 patch worm – if a cleaning patch comes off the jag

In addition to all this, I carry a backpack of some sort with lunch, water, thermos, GPS Unit, extra compass, thick pad to sit on, foldable shooting sticks, some parachute cord, spare pull over face mask hat, lightweight rain poncho, scents, rattle bag, grunt calls, t-paper, handi wipes, scent killer spray, gum-o-flage for breath etc. I also carry a good pair of 8X42 Binos with me around my neck in a bino harness.

In my vehicle trunk, I keep a plastic toolbox, with other tools, extra saboted bullets, (either pyrodex pellets or pyrodex RS loose powder), cleaning rod and supplies, extra 209 primers etc.

I normally stay out all day if I can, because over the years, I have shot a lot of bucks around mid day when many hunters hit the local diner for a bowl of chili. When they go out for lunch, the bucks are moving around.

Where can you buy a decent possibles bag? Buffalo Bill’s Shooting Store on the web, has a good selection of traditional leather and felt bags along with “ball bags” ranging in price from $5.95 for their round ball bags up to around $168.75 for some of their custom leather bags.

Of course BassPro, Cabelas, Gander Mountain and others have a variety of camo bags made of different materials which are priced very reasonable. Cabela’s makes a “Long Hunter”, soft fleece bag in camo with several compartments to keep your items separate. I carry one of these with my TC Encore 209/50. At the time of this article, that bag sells for $33.99.

There are also possibles bags with a belt loop that carry the bare necessities for those who like to travel light.

Danwww.deer-hunting-information.com

No comments: