Monday, August 25, 2008

Quick Fix For Scope Movement on Savage 111FXP3







I own a Savage 111FXP3 model 30:06 bolt action on which I have mounted a Muller Red Dot 3X9X40 scope with a battery operated red dot. I really like this set up and am pleased with the performance of both the gun and the scope. The Savage has shown a liking for 150 grain and some 165 grain factory loads. The 180's would be fine for a baited bear hunt at known ranges under 75 yards, however beyond that, the gun will not group the 180 grainers very well. This does not disturb me much as I also own a Ruger Hawkeye in .338 Federal and also a Ruger Mdl 77 in .350 Remington Mag. If I need bullets heavier than the 150 or 165's in a 30:06, these other calibers can deliver that in spades. I also have a Marlin Mdl 1895 in 45-70 caliber. Out to 150 yards or so, that particular gun stuffed with Buffalo Bore 405 grain slugs is a real thumper.

Back to the Savage. I have had the scope shift forward in the rings twice now after 40-50 rounds have been fired through it. Nothing is loose per se and the rings were snugged down tight. The scope shifted forward enough over time that the variable turn knob ends up butting up against the rear ring, making it difficult if not impossible to turn the variable adjustment knob.

I was up in Maine last week on vacation and visited the Kittery Trading post there and spoke to their scope man about the problem. His quick fix was to cut a couple of pieces of wider than average rubberbands and lay them in the bottom half of the scope rings, align the scope for proper eye relief etc. and tighten down the rings again with the rubber bands in place. I did that and after firing about 30 rounds at the range on Saturday, it has not moved. Weather permitting, I am going back to the club tonight and try to decide whether to sight in using the Hornady 150 Grain Interbonds, or the Winchester 150 grain PP.

Both shot well at 100 yards, with the Hornady turning in a 3/4 inch 3 shot center to center group and the Winchesters, turning in a 1.25 3 shot center to center group.
The crazy part is the point of impact on the Hornady's at 200 yards was approximately 4 inches high and 3.5 inches to the right. The Winchesters on the other hand were dead on elevation wise and maybe 1/2 inch to the right of the target.

To be fair to the testing process, the bbl was getting very hot, as I had sent some 30 rounds down range without letting it cool sufficiently.

I took the gun home, cleaned it and if I have an opportunity tonight, I am going to test two three shot groups at both 100 and 200 yards with both loads and show the results here. The gun also seems to like Remington 150 grain PSP Corelokts, however I have none in stock right now.

Dan
www.deer-hunting-information.com