Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Muzzleloading Bullets - What's New?

Over the years, I have fired multiple hundreds of muzzle loading bullets and saboted loads through a variety of muzzle loaders. My current favorites are 250 grain TC Shockwave's in my Encore 209/50 and its identical twin the Hornady's 250 grain SST saboted load in my thumb hole stocked Omega. I am told these two are "Peas in a Pod" so to speak except the red tipped ones are from Hornady and the yellow tipped ones from TC Arms. My load in the TC Encore 209/50 is (2) 50 grain Pyrodex pellets and the 250 grain shock wave load. The Omega is sighted in with 110 grains of loose Pyrodex RS and the 250 grain Hornady SST load.

When I was constantly experimenting on loads and powders etc. I tried Triple 777 powder, Pyrodex pellets and Pyrodex RS loose powder, Jim Shockey's American Pioneer Powder, along of course with black powder before inlines were allowed in NYS. I also tried different brands of 209 shotshell primers, and various charges from 80 grains to 150 grains of loose powder and 2/ 50 grain Pyrodex pellets and enough loads with 3 Pyrodex pellets to realize that the standard load of (2) 50 grain pyrodex pellets ALWAYS shot better for me than trying to push the envelope with 3 pellets.

I tried Barnes bullets in the Expander MZ line, the newer Spitfire 245 grain saboted loads etc. I killed my first Whitetail Buck while hunting with a ML with a Ruger bolt action using 2 Pyrodex pellets and a 300 grain Expander MZ load. I have also used Light Field's 300 grain Alpha Gold ML sabots, however  never could get them to shoot very well. I started out years ago with Hornady's 240 grain, 250 grain and 300 grain XTP's in a sabot They actually shot very well, however after 100 yards, they dropped rapidly and did not hold their accuracy at longer ranges. I went on to try Precision Dead Center loads in 260 and 300 grain loads, and Precision's 300 grain QT loads. I also tried 295 grain Power Belts, I even tried Buffalo Bore's 375 grain saboted loads which I might still use if I were on a baited Black Bear hunt under 75 yards from stand to target. I tried numerous others that I still have partially full plastic boxes of that just didn't shoot well enough to use up my powder supplies.

SEE MY SEPTEMBER 2009 POST on experimenting with the Encore 209/50:

http://gunsandoptics.blogspot.com/2009/09/tc-encore-20950-with-250-grain-tc.html

See also my post on accuracy tips from OLDER POSTS section 8/14/2008 Encore 209/50 accuracy tips.

What did I learn from all my time at the bench?


  •  IF your gun doesn't shoot well with 90 to 120 grain of Pyrodex or equivalent powder it more than likely will NOT shoot better stuffed with 150 grains
  • I SWAB with (1) WET and (1) DRY patch between every single shot / consistency is the key
  • I USE Winchester W209 primers for muzzle loading or Remington Kleen Bore primers most of the time 
  • MY Muzzle loaders are sighted in to strike 1.5 to 2 inches high at 100 yards with a COLD, CLEAN, DRY barrel 
  • I disassemble the Encore 209/50 and clean it thoroughly after a range session. I do likewise with the Omega except it is easier to clean.
  • The Encore 209/50 has a 2.5 lb crisp, clean trigger pull (worked on by a gunsmith) 
  • BOTH wear bright, clear, multi-coated optics with the Encore 209/50 wearing a Muller 2X7X32 circle red dot illuminated scope with 11 rheostat settings. 
  • I found nothing that shoots better than (2) 50 grain Pyrodex pellets behind the 250 grain TC Shock Wave. Some other loads shoot about as well but NOTHING shoots better for me.
  • WILL I still experiment from time to time with other powders and loads? Sure I will because I like to shoot. Will I switch loads if I find something proves itself to shoot better, or flatter or hit harder etc.? Probably, but for now I will continue to dance with the one that brung me as they say.
  • SEATING PRESSURE is one important factor in accuracy results, which is one reason I like Pyrodex pellets so much. There is a distinct impossible to miss feeling on the ramrod when the saboted bullet hits the top of the two pellet charge. This is more important to me than any accuracy differences between 100 grains or 110 grains of loose powder. By using the two pellet load, I consistently put three 250 grain shock waves into 3/4 inch at 100 yards out of my encore 209/50.
IF I were to try another powder, it might be the Blackhorn 209 loose powder or perhaps go back and try triple 777 again.  The reviews on Cabela's website sound pretty good on the Blackhorn 209 powder.  On the other hand it is expensive and I am so pleased with the Pyrodex 50 grain pellets, right now I am not interested in trying to improve on 3/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards.



Western Powders Blackhorn 209 Muzzleloading Powder

Revolutionary Blackhorn 209 propellant is redefining the term accuracy in muzzleloaders. When used as directed, this high-performance powder consistently shoots with higher velocities and greater accuracy than other propellants. It's engineered to eliminate swabbing and cleaning between shots. When compared with volume equivalents, Blackhorn 209 is ballistically superior to other muzzleloading propellants. Blackhorn 209 has the industry's lowest standard deviations and a low pressure-to-velocity ratio for precise performance every time. Blackhorn 209 is recommended for high-performance muzzleloaders with 209 primer ignition systems where the primer is TOTALLY enclosed. Not for use with any special muzzleloading primers, #11, musket or high-powered rifle primers. This powder is not suitable for sidelock muzzleloaders. Unaffected by changes in humidity or temperature. Cleans with regular centerfire or shotgun solvents. Per 10-oz. bottle.

I am going to try and do a few range sessions soon to make sure the 250 grain TC Shock Waves are still the right load for me and will try a few groups again with the Barnes 245 grain Spitfires and some other loads just for fun.

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.


Dan

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Dan I've been hunting Black powder for several years. I'm looking for more information on new powders with less smoke. I heard some people talking about this but can't find any information. Have you heard of this?

Dan Wafer said...

Charlie - thanks for reading the BLOG. IF I were to try a new propellant as mentioned in the article it would be the Blackhorn 209. I still rely on Pyrodex 50 grain pellets and have no reason to switch at this time. SEE Below:



Blackhorn 209 is a low residue, high performance propellant made for muzzleloaders and black powder cartridges. It is engineered to consistently shoot at higher velocities and with greater accuracy than any other muzzleloader powder available today. In fact, if you compare the advantages of Blackhorn 209, you will quickly see there are nine areas where Blackhorn 209 simply smokes the competition:

1. Superior Ballistics and Unbeatable Accuracy
2. Extremely Low Residue
3. No Swabbing Between Shots
4. Easy Breech Plug Removal
5. No Special Primers Required
6. Not Affected by Temperature or Humidity
7. Uniform Size – “Good to the last shot”
8. Cleans with Regular Solvents
9. Extended Shelf Life