Monday, June 25, 2012

TC Encore 209/50 Revisited 6/25/2012

I went to the range today with the encore 209/50 to experiment a little with some different loads. I tried three shot groups with the 250 grain TC shock wave sabot, the 300 grain Extreme-HO 253 from Precision Rifle's custom muzzle loader bullets, the 245 grain Barnes spitzer saboted bullet and finally the Barnes 285 grain boat tail HP.

I decided to switch loads for this falls season. All of the groups were under 1.5 inches at 75 yards, however the Barnes 285 grain boat tail HP saboted load was 1/2 inch center to center at 75 yards for a three shot group. I made two scope adjustments moving the group to the right 1/2 inch and elevation (UP) 1/2 inch.  It was a very windy day however I went to 100 yards and after firing 2 shots into 3/4 inch, one flyer made the group 1.5 inches. My final adjustment was to crank the elevation knob up 3/4 inch. I am not sure on average if I went to the club 4 or 5 times repeating the process on a calm day with little or NO wind, if it would be the equal of the TC 250 grain shock wave load from an accuracy stand point, but it is darn close and it is a heavier bullet. I have pondered the idea of using one load for whitetails and an occasional baited black bear hunt without the need for re-sighting in before each hunt.

FROM Barnes Bullet charts:

B.C = .239 for barnes 285 grain spit-fire MZ
When sighted in 3.25 inches high 50 yards, it is 3.99 inches high at 100 yards, and -9.54 at 200 yards at an initial velocity of 2000fps.

At 2200fps it indicates 2.38 inches high at 100 yards and -5.96 low at 200 yards / making this combination a lethal all purpose load out to 200 yards for the average individual.

*NOTE - My thoughts are that by the time you push a 285 grain bullet to 2200 fps, your accuracy is probably going to be out the window. Since I obviously have NOT tested every powder charge in the market place, I can't be sure of that, however I am guessing you will exceed the magic 100 to 120 grains of powder where the best accuracy comes from to do it. I THINK it would be better to settle the accuracy equation FIRST and then you can always use a range finder and dope the 200 yard shot assuming you just can't get closer.

You would need to do some chronograph work with your gun to determine what powder charge you would need to acomplish 2200fps out of your gun. If you do not own a chronograph, then simply put time in at the bench testing groups and point of impact at 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards.

In any event, the gun is now sighted in for the 285 Barnes HP boat tail saboted load ahead of TWO 50 grain Pyrodex Pellets. I will do some additional range work with 110 grains and 120 grains of Pyrodex RS to calculate bullet drop and group size to see if it pays to make the switch to a slighly heavier powder charge. I took my first big buck with the original 300 grain Barnes Expander MZ load out of a Ruger bolt action muzzle loader behind 110 grain of Pyrodex and using percussion caps for ignition prior to the advent of using 209 shot shell primers.

There is NO doubt in my mind that one could hunt about anything you choose to hunt with the Barnes 285 grain load. It is certainly more than adequate for whitetails and I suspect is a little better on a windy day than the lighter 250 grain shock wave. The Barnes bullet is also 100% copper, very accurate, expands rapidly and yet retains 100% of its original weight.

In any event, I had a great time and my TC Encore 209/50 did not disappoint me in the handling or accuracy department. I could really hunt with almost any load I currently have, however I love to shoot and I find shooting the muzzle loader to be quite relaxing and it is hard to shoot fast enough to "heat the barrel up", so one does not have to contend with alternating center fire rifles to allow barrel's to cool down during an extended range session.

A word about my optics on the Encore 209/50 (see chart and pricing on the 2x7x32 red dot scope from Mueller available from E. Arthur Brown Co). I feel this is one of the best scopes on the market for the money.



http://www.eabco.com/store/products/Mueller_Riflescopes_2_7X32_Red_Dot-878-0.html

Another item I have had wonderful success with is the CLENZOIL from E. Arthur Brown Co.

 

Clenzoil Cleaner and Lube 8 oz

Price: $12.95
Manufacturer: E. Arthur Brown Company
Product ID: 003-001

Order Here...
Quantity:
E-mail to a friend | Add To Wish List
Description
Clenzoil is a high quality one-step cleaner, lubricant, and rust preventive for all firearms. It provides a thin, non-greasy coating that prevents rust and lubricates all moving parts. We recommend it in two scenarios: First as a lubricant and protectant after regular cleaning of your firearms... (it works great as a bore treatment after cleaning with Wipe-Out? because Clenzoil severely retards lead and copper fouling.) Second, as an all-around cleaner, lube, and protectant when you're out in the hunting fields... A bottle of Clenzoil and a Boresnake? are all you need in the field!

Since discovering Clenzoil, I am hesitant to use anything else. Dan






No comments: