Monday, July 18, 2011

.35 Remington and Hornady's LEVERevolution Ammo Range Test

I went back to the range this afternoon with the Marlin in hand along with 1 and 1/2 boxes of Hornady's  LEVERevolution ammo.  My intent was to check out the rifle at 100, 150 and 200 yards. This I did, in addition to making some slight adjustments from my last range session.

Results are as follow:

I fired three separate 2 shot groups at 100 yards. The first one was 7/8 of an inch, the second one 3/4 of an inch and the third one 1/2 inch center to center (or) subtract the bullet hole. I am pretty happy with those results.I ended up making a 2 inch adjustment to the right at 100 yards or (4) clicks on the Simmons 1/2 minute 1.5X5X32 illuminated reticle scope.

That put me dead center and about 1and 3/4 inches high at 100 yards.

I then went to 150 yards and fired a 2 shot group with a center to center spread of  2 1/4 inches and center of group about 1 inch low at 150.

I finished up at 200 yards with a 1 3/4 inch two shot group which was 5 1/2 inches low.

I have to admit fighting the original trigger on the Marlin Mdl 336. I honestly feel when I get the Wild West Happy Trigger installed on that rifle, that I can cut those groups at 150 and 200 yards by another 30% or so.

Even as it is, I could pretty much call my shots on a broadside deer out to 200 yards, with the use of a range finder. The Happy Trigger would just make it easier. I hope to have the funds to spare to get the trigger work done before NYS rifle season this fall.

The Hornady ammo is a winner in my book. As mentioned previously, the Federal 200 grain Fusion load is also very accurate out of this guy, however the trajectory is not up to equal that of the LEVERevolution load. For that reason, I will be hunting with this load on deer as long as I carry that rifle and Hornady keeps making the ammo.

Ever since its introduction in 2006, LEVERevolution ammunition has brought grandpa's lever action rifle out of retirement and turned it into a firearm everyone is shooting. Featuring a soft polymer flex tip, it's tough enough to stand up to a jacketed bullet, but soft enough so it won't dent the primer of the round in front of it or cause accidental firing in a lever gun. This new technology makes LEVERevolution cartridges safe in tubular magazines.

LEVERevolution ammunition features up to 40% more energy than traditional flat point loads and travels up to 250 fps faster. Feed your lever gun with a box today! This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical Information:


  • Muzzle Velocity: 2225 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 1721 ft. lbs.


  • Dan

    No comments: