Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Fabulous Ruger 10/22

The Ruger 10/22 standard version has been in continuous production since I was a junior in High School in 1964. It is probably one of the most sought after .22's in existence. It is highly reliable and quite accurate out of the box. I have owned one for over 35 years now and have never done any customization or other work on it except mounting a 3X9X32 Bushnell rifle scope.

At the end of this article are photos of my Ruger 10/22 and a recent range target. It is of course a semi-automatic .22 rifle and comes standard with a 10 round rotary magazine that fits flush with the frame. There are different brands of after market magazines some of which hold up to 30 rounds or more. Somewhere in my safe are a couple of Ram Line 30 round banana clips which are a lot of fun to empty at exploding targets, clubs of dirt, targets etc. I have killed more than a few woodchucks with the little 10/22 loaded with .22 stingers years ago. Barrel lengths run 20 inches in the rifle and 18.5 inches in the carbine. Mine is the carbine version.  The rifle was made for a while in .22 mag and when I had the money and inclination to do so, I regret not purchasing one as they have been discontinued. Mine goes bang every time whether dirty or clean and irregardless of the brand of .22 ammo, I have never had a misfire with the gun. I could not begin to count how many 1000's of rounds I have put through the gun over the years, however it will still keep a 10 shot clip into less than 3 inches at 75 yards rapid fire.

There are numerous modifications to the basic 10/22 both in the do it yourself mode, or gunsmiths who specialize in tricking out 10/22's. I have looked at a lot of them over the years, and just never got interested enough to want to spend the money. After now having so many center fire rifles with trigger jobs performed on them, my range session yesterday got me thinking about having some trigger work done on the gun.

It carries so easily, and is so light weight and ergonomically easy to handle, that I am still not interested nor can I currently afford a full blown tricked out custom job. Mine is a "pinker" and I like it that way. I would LIKE IT MORE with a nice crisp trigger on it and I am going to look into that.

E. Arthur Brown Company did a trigger job on my TC Arms Encore 209/50 Muzzle loader and I notice they currently sell Timney trigger replacement kits for the 10/22 for $129.00. That is reasonable and even though I do not feel confident attempting that procedure, I could have my brother Tim who is a borderline genius do it for me, or perhaps a local gunsmith for a small fee. The Timney Trigger kit is a REPLACEMENT of the factory Ruger 10/22 trigger, and NOT a modification of the existing parts.

EXCERPT from EABCO on 10/22 triggers:


Ruger 10/22 Home Page * Ruger 10/22 Barrels * Ruger 10/22 Stocks * Ruger 10/22 Magazines
Ruger 10/22 Mounts * Ruger 10/22 Instruction Manual * ViewCart/CheckOut *  EABCO Home

©2008-2011 by E. Arthur Brown Company, 4088 County Road 40 NW, Garfield, MN 56332 * sales@eabco.com * ph. 800-950-9088/Fax 320-834-3002


Timney 10/22 Trigger for the Ruger 10/22
  The Timney 10/22 Trigger system has arranged the sear and hammer mechanism differently and the result gives leverage and geometry that's far better suited to a consistent, clean breaking, and light pulling trigger. Simple to install (photo illustrated instructions are included), fits all Ruger 10/22 firearms!

This is probably the route I will take in fixing what is wrong with the Ruger 10/22 trigger as it came from the factory over 35 years ago.

Dan


The bottom row of 3 groups represents 10 shots each fairly rapid fire from a rest at 25 yards. Lower left is Remington 36 grain golden hollow points, middle is Winchester Wildcat .22 lead 40 grain, right is Rem .22 Thunderbolts 40 grain lead, (TOP) right is PMC Sidewinders 40 grain solids (BEST GROUP) and TOP LEFT is 75 yards with a 10 shot group from the Rem 36 grain golden HP again. The groups were fairly rapid fire off sandbags.



For my money all this little carbine needs is a trigger replacement and the groups should shrink by an inch or so. AS IS, it is a 75 yard woodchuck gun with the right ammo.


  EABCO LINK for Ruger 10/22 accessories

You cannot go wrong with Ruger's 10/22 in any format. It is dead reliable and even before accurizing or customizing, it is a great plinker and a great carry gun while roaming the back 40.

Dan

[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
         ---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.


No comments: