Friday, July 1, 2011

Knight Rifles Are Back

I was a fan of Knight rifles and owned two of them after NYS started allowing the use of Inline muzzle loaders and scopes for deer hunting during the special ML season. Prior to that we were only allowed to use flintlocks or caplocks and round balls. Next came the use of other saboted bullets in addition to round balls, then of course rifles scopes and inline muzzle loaders.

I also lived through the longbow/recurve (vs.) compound era and still remember when a neighbor owned one of the FIRST new compound bows made by Allen. I think that time has proven that most of the arguments of those early days have proved to be false. Today there is still controversy over compounds (vs.) Crossbows.

We seem to have more deer than we have ever had, and in working in the insurance business for over 30 years, auto collision with whitetails always led the list of auto accidents. I also see more hunters in the woods every year with salt and pepper hair, or gray or even white hair. In my case, less white hair than I had 4 or 5 years ago. The good news is that I also see more interest on the part of youth to try hunting and God Bless the Dad's and Mom's who make an effort to allow their kids to get into the shooting sports and hunting.

Back to Knight Rifles:

Knight rifles went out of business early in 2009. Tony Knight introduced Knight Rifles to us back in 1985 and is credited with starting a revolution of sorts in the way we hunt in North America, especially whitetail deer.

I believe the first Knight rifle was the MK-85 and it was a good design. Somewhere around the house here, I still have a couple of the instruction videos that came with a new Knight rifle purchases. I understand that Plastic Industries Inc. has purchased Knight Rifles and has begun producing once again. Apparently the family members that owned Plastic Industries Inc. were all hunters and primarily used Knight Muzzle loaders. Although Knight went out of business, they kept servicing old rifles and selling accessories. There was never a shortage of primer jackets, breech plugs, ram rods etc.and Plastic industries will continue the servicing.

In April of this year, PI released a new night rifle called the Mountaineer. The version I have seen a photo of is a brown laminated thumb hole stocked bolt action with a stainless barrel and action and includes rifled sights and is presumably drilled and tapped for mounting a scope of your choice on board.

Other models including, the probably most favorite (Disc Extreme), Bighorn (I owned one of these), Littlehorn, and Long Range hunter should be available before hunting season. These will be produced in the Centerville, Iowa facility with the shooting tunnel, warehouse and lots of components on hand.

I for one am glad to have them back. I am more than happy with the my TC Thumbhole grey laminated stock and stainless bbl and action Omega and my original TC Encore 209/50. They both shoot very well and take care of all my ML hunting needs.

IF I were in the market for my FIRST ML or an additional ML, I would strongly consider purchasing another Knight rifle.

Dan

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
        --- Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
         ---Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

No comments: