Saturday, August 6, 2011

.308 Winchester Final Range Test before hunting Season

I went back to the club yesterday afternoon to run some additional rounds through the Savage Weather Warrior .308 Winchester with the accu trigger and Bushnell's 3X10X40 Elite Rifle Scope. This time I tried (4) separate factory rounds all at exactly 150 lasered and measured yards. I had not cleaned the gun since my last trip to the range, so I took my cleaning kit with me. Before shooting I ran three solvent based patches down the bore followed by two dry patches. Between each string of 3 shots at the 150 mark, I let the barrel cool for about two minutes and ran a couple of solvent (Hoppes #9) patches down the bore followed by a couple of dry ones.

First up was the Federal 150 grain Power Shok load. The group was still in the center ring of the target and center to center spread was 1.5 inches. I have a box and 1/2 of these left, so this is the load I will use for this fall whenever I take the .308 with me.

The second load up was also from Federal and consisted of a 165 grain boat tail soft point. I always want for some reason to have 165 grain loads shoot really well in a .308 simply because I look at them as a compromise between the 150's and the 180's. To me they are sort of the best of both worlds. Funny thing is, 165 grain loads have NEVER shot well in the different .308's I have owned. I started out with an early wood stocked Ruger model 77 with the old thumb tang safety. I later picked up a used Browning Lever action and now have settled on the Savage. The 165 grain Federals went into a 4.5 inch center to center group at 150.

The third group up consisted of some OLDER and no longer made, Federal 150 grain Hi Shok soft points. These proved to be very accurate in the original Ruger and the same Hi Shok bullet line was extremely accurate in my old Ruger .300 Win Mag. They are useable in the Savage, however not my choice as they printed a 2.5 inch group center to center.

Last up is still the best shooting load on average over all I have found in a factory load. It was the Winchester plain Jane vanilla 150 grain Power Point. The three shots went into exactly 1 inch center to center. The point of impact would have to be moved exactly (1) inch to the right( 3 clicks should do it at 150 yards) and I could easily use these. Since I do not have any Winchester Power points in the safe right now and am already sighted in with the Federals, I  will use those. Last time out, the Federal load out performed the Winchesters at the 200 yard mark, printing a 1.5 inch group also at the 200 yard mark.

My point is this. The best way to find out what your particular rifle likes to eat, is to put in the time at the range. There is simply NO substitute for shooting a variety of loads of a bench and taking your time to see what shoots best.

What do I mean by "Off the Bench?" I mean off a set of sand bags, or a Caldwell Lead Sled or some other version of a firm, yet NOT hard, and forgiving rest. Do NOT rest the barrel itself on the bags, use the FOREARM of the gun. Do NOT grip the gun with a "death grip". Do everything the same way for each shot. Do not keep shifting the gun around and having your hand under the forearm between the gun and the bags for one shot, and then held gently on top of the scope for the next shot etc. You must be consistent for each shot. You are not at the bench to see how good a shot you are. You are there to test loads and see what your gun likes to eat and have it sighted in properly for the upcoming hunt. Do not jerk the trigger. Squeeze it and let the bags to the work of steadying your sight picture. Always fire at least two shots between scope adjustments. I have watched guys make a scope adjustment after every single shot at 100 yards and end up using up a box of shells and chasing the point of impact all over the target.

Last but not least if your rifle does NOT have an adjustable trigger, seriously look into having a trigger job done by a respectable gunsmith, or having an after market replacement trigger installed. You will NEVER shoot your best with a lousy trigger. If your gun is a Marlin Model 1895 or model 336 lever action, then have a Wild West happy Trigger installed. You will be glad you did. If you own a Savage that was built prior to the Accu Trigger, you can have an after market trigger put in which works very well. I did this on my older Savage 30-06. If you are in the market for a NEW rifle or your FIRST rifle, look for something with an adjustable trigger such as the Savage or the TC Venture etc. You are going to probably own it for a long time, so don't save $150 and skimp on the trigger. You owe it to the game you are hunting to have a crisp creep free trigger in the 3 pound range, give or take ............most of mine are around 2 1/2 and break like glass. I am used to it and like it that way.









Time spent at the range and keeping notes will pay off in the fields or woods this fall.

UPDATE 9/14/2011 - Can't seem to stay away from the rifle range as I guess I am getting anxious to go hunting this fall. Went back to the club today to test some additional ammo. I took with me some Hornady 165 grain Light Mag ammo from years ago, some Black Hills 165 Grain match ammo,  and lastly Hornady's 150 grain SST load.

The Black Hills ammo put 3 shots into a strung out 4.5 inches / NOT usable for anything but plinking at close range. The Hornady 165 grain Light Mags put two into the same hole and threw the third one 2.75 inches from point of aim. (Question arises - is it the ammo or the shooter? / I THINK it is the ammo).

The Hornady 150 grain SST load printed a nice tight group at 3/4 inch center to center, and exactly 2 inches right of my point of aim. This load is the tightest load I have shot through the Savage yet and 8 clicks to the left and 4 click UP would put this load about 1.5 inches high and dead center for the .308.

Trajectory table for .308 Winchester:
                                                   100 yds              275 yds

.308 Win. (150 BT at 2800) .435 +2.7" +1.7" 3"@135 275
.308 Win. (165 Sp at 2700) .410 +2.7" +1.3" 3"@130 264
.308 Win. (180 Sp at 2610) .483 +2.8" +1.2" 3"@125 259


The LAST column represents the MPBR (maximum point blank range) of each load which is the maximum range at which you can shoot without the bullet rising above or falling below you line of sight by 3 inches. If you look at the 150 grain BT load, it rises above point of aim by 3 inches at 135 yards and falls below 3 inches at 275 yards). If you sight in 2.7" high at 100 yards, you will be within 3 inches of line of sight out to 275 yards.


I am still sticking with the Federal Power Shoks for this fall as they also printed very well at the 200 yard mark and are very consistent. BEFORE next season, I will have to stock up on the 150 grain SST's and after zeroing that load, try some groups from 50 yards out to around 225 yards or so.

Dan



1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

New International Version (NIV)
 16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments: