Monday, August 1, 2011

Sharpen Your Own Hunting Knives?

Over the years I have tried about every sharpener on the market I think. I guess I was never very talented at getting a really really sharp edge on a hunting knife. I have owned and used the Diamond electric sharpeners and have found them to work well with pocket knives and kept one in my insurance office over the years to resharpen pocket knives that I used to open cardboard boxes etc. I was never really able to use them much for sharpening hunting knives since the blades were too thick on most of them. I have used different hones and stones with some sort of angle attachment to keep the blade at a specified angle. In the early days, I used electric grinders (NOT my smartest move and rather hard on quality knives). I have used different grit stones etc. etc.

The best rig I have ever used to put a really really nice useable edge for field dressing deer and other chores is the Lansky 4 rod gourmet crock stick set.

The set is reasonably priced. Even an idiot like me can get a really nice working edge on his knives at home or in the field and do it quickly.

Kit includes a wooden base with a Lexan hand guard in case you slip while sharpening your knife. There are (4)  9 inch ceramic rods consisting of two medium grit and two fine grit rods. There are predrilled holes in the wooden base for 20 degree and 25 degrees angles to put a great edge on your knives.

The price is under $30 almost anywhere you can find the kit.

It fits easily into a pack for an out of state hunt or just to take along in your backpack while hunting. Can you make your knife sharp enough to shave with? I don't know as I never tried it. Can you make it SCARY sharp enough to do field dressing and skinning chores etc. on deer and other big game? YES, you can. Can you do it quickly at home or in the field? YES, you can.

I recommend this product and use it all the time.

Dan

LINK to Purchase Lansky Sharpeners

EXCERPT:


Lansky Sharpeners LCSGM4 - Sharpener, 4 Rod Gourmet Knife

$25 online
2-stage sharpening system. 1st stage: 20angle designed to thin & tune the bevel of the blade edge prior to 2nd sharpening stage. 2nd stage: 25 angle sharpens the bevel of the blade edge for durable professional results. Hardwood base. Permanent hand guard protector. Integral snap-in rod storage under the base. Four 9'' long alumina ceramic rod (2 medium, 2 fine). Ambidextrous design. - - - - 

Romans 10:9-10 (King James Version)


Romans 10:9-10

King James Version (KJV)

 9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
 10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

No comments: