Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Customizing your 45-70 Marlin - How Much Do You Need?

Ever thought of customizing your Marlin Model 1895 45-70? Most of us have. Now that I am retired, I am realizing there is a difference between the things I WANT, and the things I really NEED.

I am still a certified life long gun nut and NEED never had much to do with a lot of my purchases over the years. The current economy and my retirement in July of 2009, have changed some of my thinking.

I am going to provide some food for thought and some links to websites with additional information on accesories and custom work for the various Marlin lever actions, primarily the mdl 1895 in 45-70 caliber.

I currently own a model 1895 with 22 inch barrel in walnut and blued persuasion with a Bushnell 1.5X5X32 model 3200 scope with rainguard and firefly mounted low over the bore. The gun still wears the original factory rear sight and front hooded ramp sight for emergencies if the scope fails on an out of state hunting trip. I previously owned a first run blued, walnut stocked guide gun with the 18 1/2 inch bbl in 45-70 and it was ported as most of the earlier models were. It had the straight stock, and essentially I liked the gun. I found out though after shooting it some that is was loud as most ported guns are, and I didn't like the straight grip stock as well as the "pistol grip" on my model 336 lever action in .35 Remington. For my hands, the pistol grip butt stock just seemed to feel better to me.

I ended up selling that original guide gun to my brother a few years ago when I was short of cash, and decided if I ever bought another 45-70 I would purchase the full length model 1895 with the pistol grip butt stock. I ended up a couple of years down the road doing exactly that. I have looked fondly on the variations of custom work by Wild West Guns, Jim Brockman, Grizzly Arms, accesories from Brownell's etc., along with the XS Ghost ring sights with the forward mounted scope. I think some of the take down customer designs with a low power leupold scope on board with quick detachable rings, leaving instant access to the Ghost Ring sight set up are just plain COOL. I really do. The reality part of it is, I simply do NOT NEED a custom  take down rifle, and I have never had a quality scope fail in the field or on a hunting trip. In addition, my 62 year old eyes, shoot better with a low power variable quality scope mounted low over the bore, and with decent eye relief mounted on the receiver as opposed to several inches down the barrel. I can pick up things faster that way and my field of view is much improved, and all the rest of my bolt rifles, shotgun etc. are similary set up. IF I was a guide in Alaska, or a guide anywhere and my 45-70 were primarily a back-up gun and going in after wounded bear, or hogs, or buffalo etc. in the thick stuff, the guide gun concept with the forward mounted quick detachable scope and ghost ring sights would make a lot of sense. Both my .35 Remington and the 45-70 currently shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yards set up the way they are.

For the type of hunting I do, my model 1895 suits me fine. One modification I did make was to have a local gunsmith install a Wild West "Happy Trigger" and I feel for the $90 it was a worthwhile investment and am seriously considering having one put on my model 336 .35 Remington also.

I like the looks of the big loop lever also, however at around $170 installed, I will probably stay with the curved lever as issued on the rifle by Marlin.

Other items like the Bear Proof ejector, the metal magazine follower, the extended magazine holding 6 rounds, recrowning the barrel, ghost ring sight set up etc. are simply not in the cards for me right now. Again, don't get me wrong, as I think all of these things are COOL, just not necessary.

Let's look at the prices for a full customization package with the take down capability, large loop lever, extended mag, metalife finish on metal and stock, happy trigger, ghost ring set up etc. My reserach indicates if the work is done on your gun, (YOU have already spent $6-800 for the basic gun), you can now ADD another $1200 to $2000 more for the custom work From my perspective, there are some alternatives to the "package route" and the expense that goes with it.

Assumning you already have a basic model 336 or model 1895 that shoots well as is, however you are thinking of doing some hunting in a harsh climate such as Alaska etc, then consider (Black Ice treatment for your model 1895 which will run you around $200) and is one of the best weather proofing finishes you can put on a firearm).

http://www.blackicecoatings.com/Our_Products.html

Do you like to pick and choose what accesories and custom work you really want as opposed to shelling out $1200 plus for a full blown package, then take a look at Jim Brockman's website. He also does custom packages, however you can also look over his menu and pick and choose what you really want and need.

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/lever_cust.asp

You don't already own a basic model 336 or model 1895 and looking for a good price?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/marlin_leveraction.html
http://www.bigskyguns.com/Hunting_Rifles-Lever_Action_Rifles.html

Another option would be to purchase a brand new off the shelf Marlin Model 1895SBL. This gun is stainless with a black/grey laminated stock, large loop lever, ghost ring sights, forward mounted scope rail, etc. all in one package right from the factory. Research indicates you might be able to pick up this package gun for around $800 plus, which is a lot better than spending around $700 for a blued /walnut stocked gun and then another $1200 to customize it. If you haven't heard about the new Marlin, read the attached article and check it out. IF I did NOT already own the 45-70 I have right now and were in the market, I would definitely seek out one of these. Even if I wanted a 2nd 45-70 for hunting in the really thick stuff, or going after big bears in Alaska, I might buy one of these and then set it up with Garret 540 grain Hammerheads, and never look back. The only thing I would add is perhaps the ("Happy Trigger) because I think it makes a big difference, in your ability to call your shots.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/ST_model1895SBL_200903/

There you have it. One man's opinion. Neither right or necessarily wrong, just an opinion. Would appreciate any feedback on this or other articles on the BLOG.

Gotta LOVE those 45-70's. Dan

Ephesians 4:32  KJV   "And be ye kind one to another, tender hearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am doing this with a Marlin 1895and a diff little spin. Most of the custom parts are stainless on a blue gun. Leupold rings will be stainless with matte scout scope. I have the XS Scout Mount, WWG happy trigger, WWG follower, WWG Bearproof Ejector, Skinner tactical sight, Williams front site. I am thinking stainless DRC lever but we'll see. Crowning maybe later. Stainless loading door later. With the scope I will have less than $1100 in parts. My gunsmith will get his, but I think it will all be done for around $1500. The teflon idea sounds cool. Gunna kill a big bear in 2012. ctstipe@mchsi.com

Dan Wafer said...

Sounds like it is going to be a great gun. I have thought about adding the WWG follower and the WWG Bearproof ejector myself. You may also want to look into the Black Ice treatment if they are still around. Thanks for the comment. Dan